Monday, February 7, 2011

Seeing

I have seen what will be my home for the next two months. The tiny town of Pietroasa is nestled along a small river that cuts through the Transylvana mountains that rise precipitously from the flat out lying land. My hosts are a very sweet and kind couple. I met them on the street and with a smile and a hand shake I was warmed. Heavy thick hands, round faces creased by years of hard work and life's enjoyment showed and acceptance of me without question or concern.
I was excited to see the welding machine that I was to use. Homemade. But after inspecting the two bare wires that serve as a plug. And the bent nail as the ground, I am thinking that I do not have the fortitude to use it. I have gotten to pampered by switches and nonconducting materials. Does anyone know the R value of masking tape?
The studio is grand. Hardwood floor, high ceiling and open. Wood stove heater to help against the painless windows. I like it! I can't wait to put my mark on it and IN it as I begin whatever the sculpture is to be. The large windows that let in light might also serve as a nice viewing gallery for passers by.

I have also been introduced to Oradea. A grand city. The Old World meets the Communist Block meets the Modern. Grand, ornate buildings hundreds of years old house store after store selling cell phones and serving as a back drop to Communist era sculpture. Cell phone stores are like Starbucks; they are every where. But I hear that McDonald's in Romania is different than back home. An old cobblestone street serves as a pedestrian walk; lined with shops, cafés and bars. All the latest trends walking the strip.

What I am most looking forward to is the time I'll get to explore the land up at Poiana. A parsel of land outside of Pietroasa that is even more remote and tucked into the mountains. High, snow covered vistas await. This time in the woods and time with the people will help inform my time in the studio.

And I am now the proud owner of new grinder and paraphinalia to go with it. And I'm learning more of the Romanian language as I make these purchaces. And it hasn't gotten me in trouble yet.

1 comment:

  1. Love your spot-on descriptions of Oradea and Pietroasa and the warmth of the people. Thanks for starting this blog. Stay well. Tom B

    ReplyDelete