Sunday, February 6, 2011

In Country

I have arrived. 
After two rather uneventful flights I landed in Budapest. My luggage also arrived as I was worried that it might get pulled. I was afraid that the few bits of welding paraphernalia and some other miscellaneous items would be misconceived. I'd look like I was a terrorist, a drug mule or in the sex trade business. Or all of the above. But I walked off the plane, grabbed my bag and headed out the door to meet Daniel who drove me across the border into Romania(where once again, I was accepted into the country hassle free).

The drive across Hungry was flat, midwest flat. But not in conversation. History, politics and social aspects of the Romanian people were discussed. But as my tired eyes peered out the window as we sped along, things were not the same. The crows that picked the trash at road side had a different bounce to their step and white to begin their beaks. The many hawks seemed to be as hard and rigid as hammer and scythe as they lay watch over half frozen standing water of the many turned fields. Even the trees seemed more purposeful; the land more worn through years of human hands. Church spires rise from lean horizon like points on a time line.

I have been welcomed with open arms into the home of Adi and his family. Where kindness and warmth is in abundance, as well as, my crash course in basic Romanian phrases and cuisine. The food is good, my Romanian....... not so much.

I have yet to see the mountains of which my home is their namesake. But somehow the sky is familiar. Grey and low, hiding what will be seen and tread upon in due time. Tomorrow supplies will be purchased and perhaps my trip to the home that is to inspire will end.

Munich Reflections
Budapest

No comments:

Post a Comment