Thursday, February 17, 2011

Just a Day

Everyday I walk along the river to the studio on frozen ground. Hoof prints from yesterdays ferrying are hard in the frozen mud. It is the same path I walk back on only now the ground has thawed and the mud cakes to the bottom of my boots.

I watch people cook over a wood fired stove and use the cold of the outdoors as a natural refrigerator as they watch TV. And the cars that pull up to the local store to see a woman get out wearing the same style of clothing that were worn many, many years ago while working the farm. The horse and cart ride by the sign advertising prepaid cell phones.

Today I arrived in the studio to find three gifts. One is the gift I find everyday, a fire in the stove warming the space. The second is a small puppy, boisterous and warming himself by the same fire and finding corners to relieve himself. And the third is knowing that I am on the right track. What I accomplished yesterday seems to be working. Now I can start repeating the lines again and again.

The sky is heavy with grey clouds. A temperamental sky, one day blue and sunny, the next oppressive and cloud cast. My hosts have eased in their desire to fatten me up (or at least resolved that I can not eat that much food) and have turned their attention to my wardrobe. They think me to be cold all the time and that my clothes are inadequate. Knitted socks, leather boots, a warm vest, have all been put in my hands as offerings of warmth (down jackets and thermal underwear are apparently not understood by them. But the knitted socks are a nice touch).

The wee puppy is trying to sleep. The cheese pie in his belly is probably helping the cause. I don't think he will be too happy with me once I crank up the grinder……..

1 comment:

  1. I can confirm the colorful socks. I think Aaron has understated the "food fight" he has waged with his hosts. It takes courage and creativity to out fox the hospitality of a 70 year old Romanian hostess.

    ReplyDelete